There is considerable evidence that preventing patient falls can reduce cost and shorten length of stay (LOS).
So, in a cash constrained NHS, can technology interventions really assist in preventing falls and are technology solutions affordable?
Why do patients fall?
There are multiple reasons;
- Mental health/confused patients
- Post-surgery complications & rehabilitation
- Dehydration (a whole debate on its own)
- Toileting/hygiene issues (just how far away is the bathroom from at-risk patients?)
- Environmental issues such as ward design, lighting, heating, ventilation and flooring
- Incorrect equipment available (the right bed, chair, support ...